Monday, October 2

You Say "Sleep Deprivation" Like it's a Bad Thing

Hello gamers, just wanted to update you on a game that I have adored, envied, and have been jealous of for about half a year now. This game is The Game. Though it seemed egotistically titled, form what I've seen it deserves the title.

What is The Game? A series of riddles, clues, stunts, locations, races, and events that send teams of about 4 in minivans around for anywhere between 12 hours to 4 days. Typically without sleep. The codes, puzzles, and clues in this game are hardly obvious, most rookies land in horribly bad standings, and are slanted towards those with a propensity for codes and mathematics. Different variations of The Game and other massive clue hunts exist in multiple cities, but for reference I'll be referring to the The Game of www.gamecontrol.com and it's kin.

Here's an example of just how far The Game goes.

The Kids". At 3am, you arrive at a clue location, only to find the locked box containing your clues smashed open, clues are gone. A gang of pain in the ass high school kids makes fun of you, and Game Control refuses to help over the phone.

When a kid offers to take you to the mini-mart where the thief went with your clues, it doesn't even occur to you that the whole thing is a set up and part of the game... not until much later, when the kid starts reciting obscure poetry and tests you on your philanthropic skills.

Other clues of note include a clue inside a living mouse, clues on top of skyscrapers, the use of the Fremont Experience in Las Vegas, and stranding team members from each other in Las Vegas with their only clue being written on the back of their neck.

For more details of previous Games, check out the site.

Unfortunately I have yet to participate in one of these types of games. I plan on attempting at least one at some point, probably when travel becomes more feasible in my life. In the meantime I'm trying to create a similar, but lower scale, experience with a scavenger hunt around the Ithaca College Campus. My version will take 7 hours tops, but I hope the experience will be enjoyable enough to warrant another.

No comments: